Sunday, July 27, 2008

Big Buck, January 2005


This is by far the largest buck I've ever taken during my hunting career. I've hunted the woods of my Aunt Virginia near Loyd Star Highschool for nearly 10 years but never in my wildest imagination thought this was going to come by my stand. My brother and brother-in-law advised my they had found some big rubs and scrapes in the area and that I should focus my last day to hunt along her woods. I decided I'd take their advise and give it a try. About 8:00 a.m. I heard a dog barking out in front of me maybe 250 yards. This dog repeatedly ran up and down a fence line. I was unable to see what it was chasing but I knew it wasn't running too fast. Then in an instant I saw something jump into a cutover in front of my stand. I looked through my scope and saw antlers. I didn't know how big they were but I knew I was going to take a shot when it stopped. I realized the dog was a house dog and the deer was jumping back and forth trying to throw the dog off its trail. Sometimes the deer would turn around and rush itself at the dog. Well, to make a long story short, I took the 1st shot with my dad's 30-06. I hit the deer in the back abdomen. He ran up a hill and stopped. I took a 2nd shot and missed. Then he began walking to me. When he got about 130 yards from me I took another shot and he dropped. When we found the buck we realized how much of a trophy it was. Allen Morgan scored the deer at 157 and aged him around 6-7 years old.

No comments: